Kathleen Dansie – Elk Ridge Middle School
Dear Teacher Feature,
My name is Emily Suckow and I am 13 years old.
My nomination is for Ms. Kathleen Dansie at Elk Ridge Middle School in South Jordan. You see, I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) on May 19, 2009. I can’t go to school until my blood count numbers come up and are steady. Ms. Dansie comes over twice a week to bring me homework from my classes so I can still get the education I need to graduate. I’m only in eighth grade, so the classes I’m taking don’t go towards graduation, but I know that I need so many years of gym and math to graduate in a few years. Ms. Dansie understands how hard it is for me to keep my grades up when I’m not in school. I’ve always had a 4.0 GPA average, but when I’m not in school and I miss all of the class discussions, my grades drop more than you would know. These past five months have been really hard on me, what with the cancer and everything, but Ms. Dansie definitely helps me go through it.
[This is one] of the most amazing teachers I have had, and I pray that you will notice the excellence [she has].
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- A new chance for a fighting chance against ovarian cancer
- Salt Lake City Police respond to five different incidents with weapons
- Intermountain Healthcare purchases land near Ephraim
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- U of U students rally in support of Mahsa Amini, woman killed in Iran