Valerie Harrison – Lehi High School
Ms. Harrison has been teaching financial literacy for almost a decade. She cares about her students and wants her class to be both a fun experience and a place they can feel safe. She teaches year-round, during the school year and the summer. Although some students might not think financial literacy is the most exciting thing, most still succeed when they take her class. She advocates getting a higher education, and always doing your best no matter what challenges you face.
Ms. Harrison incorporates various elements of learning into her curriculum including: math, life skills, budgeting, etc… She teaches high schoolers how to invest, how to buy a car, how to buy a house, how to buy insurance, how to keep a good credit score, how to get a loan, how to save money for college, and how to avoid falling into debt. She draws the connection from good money management to having a good life, retirement, and marriage. Ms. Harrison teaches in a way that prepares you for your future adult life and teaches you to rely on your own strengths to improve yourself.
I took Ms. Harrison’s class my junior year, and then had the privilege of being her TA my senior year. Her love of education inspired me every day to be a better student. I could tell that she really cared for her students, by taking the time to help them with any home or school struggles they were facing. She encouraged them to do their best, not only in her class, but in their daily lives. A lot of her students called her their “Second Mom,” because she was so dependable and caring. I’m proud to say that she’s my mother; my teacher in life.
I am certain that Ms. Harrison positively influenced many of the students at Lehi High School, and I believe she will continue to do so. I believe wholeheartedly that she deserves this nomination. Thank you.
Today’s Top Stories
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Intermountain Healthcare study finds “better” IV fluid treatment
- Remaining deer, elk permits can be purchased in July
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient