Craig Martinez, Orem City Police Department
The following nomination letter was written by Gary Giles, Orem City Police Chief:
Lt. Craig Martinez is one of the department’s administrative lieutenants who also acts as Public Information Officer and handles all of the department social media. Craig has become somewhat of a sensation with his social media posts and activities. Currently, over 24,000 people follow the page. Many of those people live in Utah County, but he also has gained followers from all over the world.
Craig is constantly looking for innovative ways to use social media as well. His ‘Tattle Tale Tuesday’ posts feature surveillance photos of crimes. Due to his jovial and entertaining nature, followers wait for his posts. About 80% of the time, the suspects are identified by followers, sometimes within minutes of being posted.
Craig has also conducted other activities on social media such as an Easter egg hunt via snapchat where tons of kids became involved in trying to find hidden eggs around the city with their parents. Last summer he came up with the idea to host weekly Kids Camps at the police department for kids in order to keep them busy and out of trouble. The Camps were a great success and parents and kids are already looking forward to next year.
Last Halloween, Craig organized a Trunk-or-Treat event at the Orem Police Department. Along with his on-line advertising, the event was overwhelmingly attended by thousands of people. This year, he is currently organizing another Trunk or Treat at a larger venue and he has already been asked by several surrounding agencies if they can be involved.
Craig plays on several community softball teams and enjoys playing in tournaments. He is also an avid cross-fitter.
Craig is constantly looking for ways he can connect with the community. From organizing kids camps to trunk-or-treats, he is always thinking of ways to keep kids safe, and promote positive interaction between the police and the public.
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- UPDATE: SLCPD arrest two in connection to Sunday’s Ballpark neighborhood shooting
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Tooele City releases fireworks restrictions map