BEYOND THE BADGE
Randy Thomason, South Ogden
May 30, 2018, 2:40 PM | Updated: Aug 3, 2022, 2:59 pm
The following nomination came from Darin Parke, Chief of Police for South Ogden City:
“On a cold day in February, Sergeant Thomason responded on a welfare check. A passerby had heard an elderly man’s cries for help and notified police of a disabled man needing assistance due to his electric wheelchair breaking down. The passerby advised the man had been stranded on the sidewalk for over an hour and stated his hands were numb and he seemed incoherent.
Upon arrival, officers and EMS responders found the male to be cold, but uninjured. They discovered he was a resident of a local nursing home; however when officers contacted the home and advised of the situation, the facility stated they were unable to assist him returning home and offered no assistance in his predicament.
The fire department transported the man back to the nursing home. Getting the 350 pound electric wheelchair back home was not as simple. Sergeant Thomason secured a trailer and loaded up the wheelchair and transported it back to the nursing home.
Sergeant Thomason went above and beyond to assist a vulnerable man in need. I am proud of Sergeant Thomason and his compassionate response to this situation and would like to recognize him in his efforts.”
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15