Salt Lake Community College
How can communities get kids both excited and educated about the importance of nutrition and leading a healthy lifestyle?
Salt Lake Community College’s solution to preventing and controlling childhood obesity focuses on educating students in their schools. Know Greater Heroes is their program featuring a high energy, interactive school assembly that focuses on elementary-age children being healthy.
After completing the program, each student knows they should be getting at least 60 minutes of activity each day and they will learn about fun ways to reach that goal. Students also learn about the five food groups and how many servings of each they should have daily. Finally, they learn about the dangers of drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
The program takes a unique approach using college-aged student athletes as role models and teachers to demonstrate that fitness and living healthy can be fun.
SelectHealth recognizes the positive impact from the Salt Lake Community College as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Florida judge allows lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian…
- Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissions