Salt Lake Community College
How can communities get kids both excited and educated about the importance of nutrition and leading a healthy lifestyle?
Salt Lake Community College’s solution to preventing and controlling childhood obesity focuses on educating students in their schools. Know Greater Heroes is their program featuring a high energy, interactive school assembly that focuses on elementary-age children being healthy.
After completing the program, each student knows they should be getting at least 60 minutes of activity each day and they will learn about fun ways to reach that goal. Students also learn about the five food groups and how many servings of each they should have daily. Finally, they learn about the dangers of drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
The program takes a unique approach using college-aged student athletes as role models and teachers to demonstrate that fitness and living healthy can be fun.
SelectHealth recognizes the positive impact from the Salt Lake Community College as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- US economy added a robust 263,000 jobs in November
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah