Tooele County School District
Christy Johnson is the Homeless Liaison for the Tooele County School District where she provides services and supplies to the homeless children in Tooele County. Christy has helped more than four hundred students who are classified as homeless in the district. Each year before school starts, she puts together a Back to School Closet. This is where children can receive new shoes, socks, gently used clothing, backpacks with school supplies and can be assigned an advocate. When these items are given to a child it opens up doors of opportunity for them to be at school. Last year, three hundred pairs of shoes were given out and 600 people directly benefited from this program. Some of the children in Tooele County School District are victims of circumstances that are out of their control. The district works directly with Law enforcement, Child Protective Services and Mental Health providers to see that these children get what they need when they need it.
SelectHealth recognizes Christy Johnson and the community care provided by Tooele County School District as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- September was the hottest month in Salt Lake City and it wasn’t close
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Man in possession of fentanyl pills, heroin arrested at SLC airport
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- DWR officials taking steps to protect California condors