Searchers find body of snowmobiler caught in avalanche
CIRCLEVILLE, Utah — Searchers on Friday found the body of a snowmobiler caught in an avalanche near Circleville Mountain Thursday.
Sgt. Glen Woolsey with the Beaver Co. Sheriff’s Office says three snowmobilers from Washington Co. were in a popular area for snowmobiling Thursday afternoon when one of them reported seeing the two ahead of him get caught up in an avalanche around 5:00 p.m.
Sgt. Woolsey says one of the two caught in the avalanche was able to signal for help and was recovered. That snowmobiler was injured but is expected to be OK. The other one caught in the avalanche had not been seen since 10 p.m. Thursday night. That person’s body was recovered during the day on Friday.
“Because of the new snow and the danger involved, it would create a major hazard for our search and rescue to go up there in the dark. DPS helicopter was flying in that area (Thursday night), assessing it and seeing if we can find any evidence or signs,” says Sgt. Woolsey.
Searchers returned first thing Friday morning. The snowmobiler who died has not yet been identified.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Suspect taken into custody after firing shots in Kearns
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Intermountain Healthcare study finds “better” IV fluid treatment
- Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon
- Sandy police report two child abduction attempts involving silver SUV