LOS ANGELES (AP) — Parker Van Dyke hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer, completing a 22-point comeback and lifting Utah over UCLA 93-92 on Saturday.
Timmy Allen scored 18 of his 22 points in the second half to lead the Utes (13-10, 7-4 Pac-12). Sedrick Barefield added 19 points and Riley Battin had 18. Van Dyke made five 3-pointers in the second half and finished with 15 points.
Jaylen Hands scored a career-high 27 points for the Bruins, who dropped their third in a row for the second time under interim Murry Bartow. Hands tied his career high with four 3-pointers.
The Bruins (12-12, 5-6) led by 22 with 12:10 remaining only to get outscored 48-25 the rest of the game, including 23-9 in the last 2:45.
After making their first 10 free throws, the Bruins went 10 of 17 from the line over the final 6:56.
After employing a zone defense in recent games, the Bruins came out playing man-to-man and it paid dividends. The Utes missed their first four shots and committed nine turnovers in the first half.
The Bruins shot 70 percent from the floor in taking a 49-32 halftime lead. Jalen Hill and Cody Riley teamed up for two highlight plays. Riley tossed up consecutive passes that Hill dunked off of, capping a 7-0 run going into the break.
Utah: The Utes split their weekend in Los Angeles. They’re still in the upper half of a weakened Pac-12, but they have a tough schedule the rest of the way, including hosting second-place Arizona State and visiting undefeated Washington.
UCLA: The loss dropped the Bruins below .500 in league play with seven games remaining. They go on the road next week to face winless California and five-win Stanford. They play Colorado again, which like Cal is below UCLA in the standings. As it is, the Bruins will likely need to win the Pac-12 tourney to get into the NCAA Tournament.
BACK IN ROTATION
UCLA freshman Moses Brown didn’t start for the first time in 23 games this season after being late to morning shootaround. The Bruins’ leading rebounder entered the game with 5.9 seconds left. Cody Riley got his eighth start and first since Dec. 29 against Liberty, which turned out to be coach Steve Alford’s last game before he was fired.
Utah: Hosts Arizona on Thursday.
UCLA: At last-place California on Wednesday.
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick (pageviews: 27327)
- Police: Man turns himself in after killing Tinder date (pageviews: 6865)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? (pageviews: 6175)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5062)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples (pageviews: 4336)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3766)
- Hope In Darkness (pageviews: 3341)
- Police say woman killed after meeting a man on a Tinder date (pageviews: 2473)
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date (pageviews: 2074)