Family hospitalized after propane explosion blows roof off cabin
DUCK CREEK VILLAGE, Kane County — A family was transported from Kane County to the Dixie Regional Medical Center by medical helicopter after a propane explosion.
A couple, their child and the Falcon’s Nest Cabins’ site manager were all released from the hospital on Sunday after being treated for smoke inhalation and slight burns, according to Cedar Mountain Fire Protection District Chief Casey Tuttle.
The explosion occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday. A regulator on a propane heater malfunctioned, Tuttle said, causing flames to shoot up and spark an explosion.
The roof of the cabin where the explosion occurred was blown off, and four other cabins were damaged by falling debris and fire. Debris flew 70-100 yards from the cabin, according to Tuttle.
First responders were dispatched from Kane County, Garfield County, Panguitch Lake, Panguitch, Kanab and Orderville. They worked until nearly 5 a.m. in subzero temperatures and several feet of snow.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished