Bill passes to rename Ogden VA after Major Brent Taylor
The U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill 417-0 to rename the Veterans Affairs in North Ogden after the late Major Brent Taylor who died while serving in Afghanistan.
417-0: House unanimously passed legislation naming VA outstation in North Ogden, Utah after city’s late mayor Major Brent Taylor who was killed in action in Afghanistan in Nov 2018. Bill by UT Senator Lee passed Senate by unanimous consent last month and now heads to White House. pic.twitter.com/eg0tZpM7q9
— Craig Caplan (@CraigCaplan) March 6, 2019
Utah Senator Mike Lee wrote the legislation which passed in the Senate last month.
“In every aspect of his life, Major Taylor was a shining example of patriotism, sacrifice, and service,” said Lee. “It is only right that we honor his extraordinary life and hope others are inspired by it.
“To that end, it is a fitting tribute to rename the Ogden veterans’ center as the ‘Major Brent Taylor Vet Center Outstation.'”
Congressman Rob Bishop delivered his remarks to the Utah State Legislature on Tuesday as well. He let lawmakers know about the legislation as well. He also said he was told it would not come to a vote until Memorial Day so he is grateful for the timing.
He then released a statement after it passed:
“Utah will be forever indebted to Major Brent Taylor and his beautiful family. While the naming of a building will never repay the debt we owe, it can stand as a reminder of the willingness of Major Taylor to give his life in defense of the freedoms that make America great. Veterans can count on this facility for a wide range of support. Each time someone visits this important facility, they will be reminded of the hero of North Ogden. Major Taylor lived a life a service and ultimately laid down his life for his friends, family, and country.”
Major Brent Taylor was the mayor of North Ogden. He was a member of the Utah National Guard and died last November while serving overseas.
It now awaits signature from the President.
Today’s Top Stories
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- Snow storm brings highly dangerous avalanche conditions
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Pence says Trump was ‘wrong’ for dinner with Holocaust denier
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success