Utah man jailed without bond in stabbing death of his wife
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Box Elder County sheriff’s officials say a man accused of fatally stabbing his wife has been released from the hospital and booked into jail without bond.
They say 39-year-old Jose Gutierrez-Torres of Tremonton had been in the hospital since March 3 after he allegedly tried to slash his own throat.
Police say they found Gutierrez-Torres at the Bothwell home of 53-year-old Maria de Jesus Cervantes.
She reportedly was stabbed Cervantes multiple times in her neck.
Police say a blood-covered steak knife wrapped in a cloth was found at the residence near the head of Cervantes.
Gutierrez-Torres was released from the hospital Friday and booked into the county jail.
It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.
The Deseret News reports that court documents show Gutierrez-Torres has a history of domestic violence.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery