Utah man jailed without bond in stabbing death of his wife
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Box Elder County sheriff’s officials say a man accused of fatally stabbing his wife has been released from the hospital and booked into jail without bond.
They say 39-year-old Jose Gutierrez-Torres of Tremonton had been in the hospital since March 3 after he allegedly tried to slash his own throat.
Police say they found Gutierrez-Torres at the Bothwell home of 53-year-old Maria de Jesus Cervantes.
She reportedly was stabbed Cervantes multiple times in her neck.
Police say a blood-covered steak knife wrapped in a cloth was found at the residence near the head of Cervantes.
Gutierrez-Torres was released from the hospital Friday and booked into the county jail.
It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.
The Deseret News reports that court documents show Gutierrez-Torres has a history of domestic violence.
Today’s Top Stories
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- Crash involving RV leaves one dead
- Teen killed in Hurricane auto-pedestrian accident
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- Ballpark Station reopens after closing due to fallen scaffolding
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- 21-year-old man sentenced for multiple sex crimes
- BYU engineering students put ‘world’s smallest Book of Mormon’ on 4 inch disc