Man arrested after allegations of years of sexual abuse
WEST VALLEY CITY – A West Valley man is booked on 23 counts of child sex abuse and investigators think he could have been victimizing children for more than a decade. The question is, are there any other victims who have not come forward?
The case took a long time to put together. West Valley City Police got a letter from one of the reported victims who claimed David Williams abused her. As the investigation continued, police learned the problem was much worse than previously thought.
“[The detective] worked very hard to uncover, layer by layer, multiple cases of abuse that are alleged to have been perpetrated at the hands of Mr. Williams,” says West Valley City Spokesperson Roxeanne Vainuku.
The main investigator reportedly learned the victims were all between the ages of four and 12, and the abuse happened between 1983 and 1997.
“She was able to come up with a total of seven people who we believe were victimized by Mr. Williams at this time,” she says, adding, “The victims that we have discovered, so far, are family members of Mr. Williams and people who lived near his house. What we don’t know is if there are other victims out there.”
Vainuku says they don’t have any evidence that proves there are more victims out there, but, given the amount of people they’ve found and the span of years in which the abuse happened, she says more victims are a possibility. She’s encouraging anyone who believes they may have been abused by Williams to come forward, and it doesn’t matter how long ago it may have occurred.
“We want to know about it. We want them to know they have a place to come, and we have a person to listen to them,” she says.
Today’s Top Stories
- Hazmat spill closes I-15 in Bluffdale
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Bill protecting same-sex, interracial unions passes House
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- How to deal with and overcome seasonal depression