Ogden city, officer dropped from jail death lawsuit
OGDEN, Utah (AP) — The city of Ogden has been dropped from a federal lawsuit over a man’s death in the Weber County Jail.
The Standard-Examiner reported Monday that court papers filed last week indicate the city and an Ogden police officer were dismissed as defendants.
Litigation against Weber County will continue.
Michelle Shafer filed a lawsuit in Salt Lake City last year against the county, Ogden and several officers.
Ogden police arrested her son, Ashley Jessop, in February 2016 after a disturbance at an apartment complex.
He was hospitalized and died within the next week.
Shafer’s suit had said the arresting officer and jail staff ignored Jessop’s disclosure of feeling suicidal and being on psychiatric medication.
Acute kidney injury, liver disease and gastrointestinal bleeding were listed as causes of death.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Utah health officials confirm three cases of rabies in bats
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Garfield County cold case homicide is brought to a close
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Jackson sworn in, becomes 1st Black woman on Supreme Court
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah