FARMINGTON, Utah (AP) — A Utah man convicted of killing his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The Standard-Examiner reports 38-year-old Joshua Scott Schoenenberger was sentenced Wednesday after a jury found him guilty in October of first-degree aggravated murder for the death of JJ Sieger.
The former chief medical examiner told the court that the 2015 autopsy found several blunt force injuries to the child’s abdomen, head, torso and extremities as well as internal injuries.
Deputy Davis County Attorney Nathan Lyon told the court that the injuries amounted to a “bar fight between a grown man and defenseless toddler.”
Judge John Morris said that Schoenenberger had attacked the child because of issues with toilet training, describing the Layton man’s actions as “indifferent and cruel.”
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump designates elite Iranian military force as a terrorist organization
- Scientists just captured a record 17-foot-long python in Florida
- Prosecutor plans diversion program for low-level suspects
- Homeland Security Sec. Nielsen resigns amid border turmoil
- Hill Air Force Base cited as most at risk in climate change rankings