Utah man accused of attacking officer with piece of wood
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities have arrested a 21-year-old man who is suspected of attacking a police officer using a piece of wood at a Salt Lake City area middle school.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray said Kalen Cook of Bluffdale was arrested Monday on suspicion of aggravated assault, criminal trespassing and drug-related charges.
Cook was booked in jail. It’s unknown if he has an attorney.
Gray says the school resource officer confronted Cook after he saw him carrying the wood around South Hills Middle School in Riverton Monday afternoon. Other officers arrived on the scene to stop the attack.
The officer suffered injuries to his face, head and body.
She says no students or staff were involved in the altercation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Checking in on the status of full-day kindergarten in Utah
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Defense bill likely to include end to military Covid vaccine mandate, source says
- Investigators track ammunition in fatal film set shooting
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- EU fines Google $1.7 billion for abusing online ads market