Woman accused of poisoning boyfriend with drain cleaner
SOUTH SALT LAKE – A woman is booked for attempted murder after police say she tried to poison her boyfriend with drain cleaner. She reportedly told officers she wanted him to go to an “eternal sleep.”
Investigators say it was only a spoonful of Drano, but, it was enough to nearly kill the 50-year old victim.
Police were first called by the staff at the Redwood Urgent Care who reported a man had ingested the cleanser. South Salt Lake Officer Gary Keller says the workers also heard some troubling comments from the man’s girlfriend, Elle Weissman.
“The girlfriend had made comments that were highly suspect, and that she was probably the person responsible,” Keller say.
After the police read Weissman her rights, Keller says she told officers that she knowingly gave him Drano, pretending that it was medicine. When he was writhing in pain, she reportedly tried to tell him that the medication was making him sick.
Keller say, “Things didn’t go as she expected. As you can imagine, a chemical of this type causes excruciating pain.”
Weissman tried to get her victim medical care, but, it appears she wasn’t in a hurry to get there. Keeler says they called a ride share company to give them a lift to a center that wasn’t close by.
“They went from their apartments in the area of 3900 South and 700 East to the Redwood Road and 2100 South Urgent Care. It’s amazing that he made it there,” Keller says, adding, “He was in very bad condition, so, he was transported to the hospital.”
Weissman was booked into jail for attempted murder and surreptitious administering of a certain substance, which are both felonies.
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36