Memorial Day Forecast: Rainy
SALT LAKE CITY — Your best bet to fire up the grill this Memorial Day Weekend will probably be on Sunday, at least that’s what KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman says.
Grant says the weather we’re seeing this weekend isn’t what we’re normally used to. Usually, we expect to see the average high’s up near 80 over the holiday weekend, but that’s not what’s in store this year.
Strong winds on Thursday morning knocked out the power to nearly 8,000 customers in Wasatch and Cache counties according to Rocky Mountain Power, and UDOT placed a restriction on parts of the I-15 between Brigham City and Tremonton for high profile vehicles after a semi was blown over.
The winds were mostly localized in the northern parts of the valley due to the topography found there. The mountains do a good job through the central Salt Lake Valley and Norhtern Utah County because the high mountains act like a barrier much like a dam holding back water.
Farther north through the Wasatch range isn’t as tall or jagged and that, combined with the canyons, lets a lot of that wind that can spill up and over the tops or run through the canyons up in Davis and Weber Counties.
The winds quickly died down after 9:00 a.m. but the rain is the big issue coming up in the forecast which is calling for a 60% chance of showers on Monday with highs only in the low 60’s.
It looks like we will get a little break this weekend though with the best window falling on Saturday and Sunday where temperatures jump back up into the 70s.
Today’s Top Stories
- Parts of I-15 closed in Davis County following police chase
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case