Pleasant Grove teen killed in moped crash
PROVO, Utah — A 17-year-old boy crashed on a moped Friday night and was pronounced dead Saturday at the hospital.
Pleasant Grove High School junior Colby Gruel, suffered critical injuries after crashing at a church parking lot near 350 N. 900 East in Provo.
The teen was taken to Utah Valley Hospital where he died from his injuries after his family was able to say goodbye. Provo police say Gruel was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash and had head injuries.
On Friday evening 05/24/19, Provo Police and Fire responded to a church parking lot, located at 350 N 900 E, concerning a seventeen-year-old male that was reported to have fallen off a moped. The injured male was transported to the hospital where he died due to his injuries. pic.twitter.com/P7AvpUuxlf
— Provo Police (@ProvoPolice) May 28, 2019
The Provo Daily Herald says funeral services are planned for Saturday, June 1 at a church building at 1541 N. 1300 West in Pleasant Grove.
View this post on Instagram
On Friday evening 05/24/19, Provo Police and Fire responded to a church parking lot, located at 350 N 900 E in Provo, concerning a seventeen-year-old male that was reported to have fallen off a moped. The injured male was transported to the hospital where he died due to his injuries. Staff at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center were able to keep the seventeen-year-old alive long enough to allow his family to say their goodbyes. While this is truly a heartbreaking incident, we appreciate medical staff working so hard to be able to give one last moment for the family. The Provo Police Department investigates all deaths due to motor vehicle accidents that occur in Provo. While this is still an active investigation, preliminary observations show that this was an accidental death. A detailed conclusion will be determined once the investigation is complete.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Suspect arrested, one victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville
- Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Alpine schools investigating “suspicious” computer activity
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Missing radioactive capsule from Rio Tinto mine found on Australian road
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains