Kearns mom charged after a teen left her house party and died
KEARNS — A Kearns woman faces charges for the death of a teenager whom police say she kicked out of a house party after drinking. The teen died of hypothermia.
Prosecutors charged Kristina Valdez, 40, with child endangerment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and permitting intoxication in the death of 17-year-old Julian Garcia.
Garcia was missing for 18 days before his body was found in a field near 5800 West and 5600 South on February 27. His sister, the last person to see him alive on February 9, said she dropped him off at Valdez’s home for a birthday party.
Charging documents say Garcia was at Valdez’s house party, drinking and smoking marijuana with the son of Valdez and others. Police say Valdez asked Garcia to leave because of his behavior just after midnight.
According to those documents, Garcia wore only “light clothing,” not clothes appropriate for winter weather conditions.
The autopsy says Garcia died of hypothermia; he had both alcohol and pot in his system. Police say he likely passed out in the field, then snow fell and covered his body, which is why it took so long to find his body.
Today’s Top Stories
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson resigns after mutiny in his party
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Polarization is behind US mass shootings, says psychiatrist
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song