Chemical leak causes evacuations on last day of school, students and staff safe
MIDVALE, Utah — Unified Fire was dispatched to Jordan Valley School in Midvale (7501 S 1000 E) Thursday after someone noticed a strong chemical odor in the building.
Jordan Valley School is part of the Canyons School District where students with “severe multiple disabilities” come from around the district.
Canyons School District spokesman Jeff Haney said that the strong chemical smell came from an area where the school keeps the chemicals for the therapy pool.
“When they noticed the odor, they turned off all the lines and exited the building and called the Fire Dept.
“Fire dept arrived and called Hazmat and said evacuate the school, which the school had started to do anyway out of caution. The children are headed to the LDS Church house adjacent to the school, and they are working on a reunification plan with the parents. They have done everything they can to keep the children safe, they put out a phone call through their emergency notification system.”
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023
- A 4-day workweek is working for Provo government
- Trump Organization convicted in executive tax dodge scheme
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Suspected criminals on Zillow listing Utah homes for sale without homeowners’ knowledge
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Democratic Sen. Warnock wins Georgia runoff against Walker