Fire along I-215 under investigation
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City firefighters believe a vagrant who was smoking may have accidentally started a fire that was visible to drivers along I-215.
A tree caught fire just before 5:00 a.m. Monday along Decker Lake near the Maverik Center.
No one was around when firefighters arrived on the scene, but they are sure a person started it.
West Valley City Fire says they had a little trouble getting to the blaze. The fire did not spread far because there were not a lot of dry grasses due to the wet and cool weather Salt Lake County has had recently.
Utah Highway Patrol kept traffic away from the area until the fire was extinguished about an hour later.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?