Fun facts for Father’s Day
(CNN) — Here is a look at Father’s Day, celebrated the third Sunday in June.
June 16, 2019 – Father’s Day
According to Hallmark, Father’s Day is the fourth-largest card-sending occasion with 72 million cards given every year.
Fifty percent of all Father’s Day cards are purchased for fathers, according to Hallmark. Almost 20 percent of Father’s Day cards are given to husbands.
The US Census Bureau estimates there were 72.2 million fathers in the United States in 2014.
Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, is credited with starting Father’s Day after hearing a sermon on Mother’s Day while attending church with her father.
Dodd wanted to honor her father, William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran who raised six children after his wife died during childbirth.
According to the National Retail Federation annual survey:
Consumer spending on Father’s Day is expected to rise to an all-time record of close to $16 billion in 2019.
In 2019, nearly 76% of people intend to celebrate Father’s Day.
1910 – Spokane celebrates the first Father’s Day on June 19.
1924 – President Calvin Coolidge publicly supports plans for a national Father’s Day.
1966 – President Lyndon Johnson signs a proclamation calling for Father’s Day to be celebrated on the third Sunday of June.
1972 – President Richard Nixon signs into law a permanent recognition of Father’s Day.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Fugitive taken into custody following SWAT stand-off in Taylorsville
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Church of Jesus Christ announces hack affecting community members’ personal data