Police investigate shooting in Millcreek Canyon
MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Florida judge allows lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian…
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissions
- Jackson sworn in, becomes 1st Black woman on Supreme Court