Police investigate shooting in Millcreek Canyon
MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Suspect in Wednesday’s I-15 shooting is named, booked into jail
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Semi rollover on Legacy Highway reduces traffic to one lane
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- US economy added a robust 263,000 jobs in November