MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
- Coronavirus: Utah man in isolation after testing positive (pageviews: 1688)
- Church spends nearly $1 billion in humanitarian, welfare aid, leaders say (pageviews: 1502)
- Boys anonymously buy Valentines for every girl in their grade at Farmington Jr High (pageviews: 916)
- Mylar balloon: don't let it go! (pageviews: 822)
- Boy Scouts file for bankruptcy due to sex-abuse lawsuits (pageviews: 801)
- Mike Bloomberg gains 2 Utah campaign co-chairs (pageviews: 735)
- Fugitive, K9 officer killed in officer involved shooting (pageviews: 730)
- Trump campaign manager deletes dramatic Air Force One NASCAR photo after people point out it's from 2004 (pageviews: 678)