MILLCREEK CANYON — What was originally reported as a self-inflicted gunshot death in Millcreek Canyon Friday turned out to be a homicide, police say.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory says the 17-year-old victim was shot as he fought with a relative over control of a handgun.
Nineteen-year-old Emilio Madrigal Rios has been booked into jail on charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.
People at the Rattlesnake Trailhead tried to help the victime after he was shot, but he died at the scene.
His name hasn’t been released. Officers are still investigating what brought the two into the canyon.
- Smith's limiting number of customers in store, closing early Easter Sunday (pageviews: 11015)
- Catch this week's supermoon, biggest and brightest of year (pageviews: 4236)
- Dr. Anthony Fauci impressed with Utah response to COVID-19, state to train more in contact tracing (pageviews: 4013)
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County (pageviews: 3385)
- Five additional coronavirus deaths reported in Utah (pageviews: 2066)
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend (pageviews: 1595)
- Antibody testing one step closer to tackling COVID-19 in Utah (pageviews: 1375)
- Salt Lake County Mayor considers extending stay home order to Memorial Day or longer (pageviews: 1069)