UPDATED: Fire crews work to contain multiple fires
SPANISH FORK — Firefighter crews throughout Utah have spent their Fourth of July holiday battling fires.
Three fires have sparked in Utah County alone in the past 24 hours.
Multiple agencies utilized ground and air resources to battle the wildfires.
Saratoga Springs fire
Firefighter crews knocked out a fire that sparked near Utah Lake.
The fire in the Saratoga Springs area has been burning since about noon Thursday. It has burned more than 65 acres.
Thistle Junction fire
Elsewhere, a fire near Thistle Junction burned 50 to 100 acres.
Officials believe the fire may have been the result of target shooting in the area.
The cause of the Thistle Junction fire is still under investigation.
The first report of a fire came on Wednesday at about 4 p.m. near Thistle Junction, Utah County Fire Battalion Chief Jamie Nelson said.
The exact cause of the fire is under investigation. Officials believe the fire was human-caused.
Skull Flat Fire
Crew have the fire east of Beaver about 50% contained, a spokesman for the BLM said. The Skull Flat fire has been burning since June 18.
The Skull Flat fire has burned 1,517 acres as of Thursday, according to the Bureau of Land Management. The fire has been burning since June 18.
Hot, dry conditions in the area were expected to cause “increased fire behavior,” on Thursday, according to BLM spokesperson Nick Howell.
Officials have not ordered evacuations for the Beaver area.
On Wednesday, firefighter crews in Utah County responded to a fire burning near Lincoln Beach.
By late Thursday the crews had gained control of the fire. Officials believe the fire was the result of human action.
Nelson said firefighter crews had this fire “mostly contained.” The fire burned about 75 acres near Benjamin.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- AirMed responding to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…