South Salt Lake Police officer escapes with minor injuries after wild State Street crash
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – A South Salt Lake Police officer walked away with minor injuries after part of a light pole fell on him during a crash on southbound State Street.
The officer was looking for speeders while he was parked near the Harley-Davidson store around 6:50 this morning. Executive Police Officer Gary Keller says that’s when a red pickup truck driving at a high rate of speed came towards a nearby light pole and fire hydrant, taking both out.
“He thought to himself, ‘This car’s going to hit us.’ So at that time, he started to leave his motorcycle and dive to the ground to take cover,” Keller said.
That’s when he was hit by a light that fell off the pole.
Keller says the pickup driver then cut across several lanes and went into a building on northbound State Street, near 2900 South, taking out the gas meter.
“The officer picks himself up [and] runs over to check on the condition of the driver and the truck. He looks in the truck [and] nobody’s in the truck. Then a witness said, ‘Your guy just got out of the truck, and he’s running southbound on State Street,'” Keller said.
The pickup driver has been taken to the hospital.
A car that was parked alongside the motorcycle officer was damaged by the fire hydrant and other debris, but the condition of that driver is unknown.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC