Longtime Navajo Nation lawmaker resigns, citing health
He did not elaborate on his health condition but says he wants to spend more time with family.
BeGaye is known for championing a 2005 bill to ban uranium mining on the vast reservation that extends into Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.
Council Speaker Seth Damon says BeGaye’s leadership has been soft, sturdy and compassionate.
A special election will be held to fill BeGaye’s seat. Damon can name someone from one of the five communities BeGaye represented to fill in temporarily.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years in prison
- Intermountain Healthcare study finds “better” IV fluid treatment
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Utah Rep. Mia Love pushes for compromise bill on immigration