Boulder dislodged after fire lands on Springville porch
SPRINGVILLE, Utah — A boulder dislodged by the Round Peak Fire landed on the porch of a Springville home.
Pat Knowlden lives in Springville near where this fire has been burning. While the fire was blazing she heard what she said was a horrendous noise.
“I couldn’t figure it out what it was because it wasn’t, you know, a noise we’re familiar with,” she said.
She and her husband thought was an explosion and that perhaps a plane had crashed. As she opened the door, she found a giant boulder sitting on her porch.
Holy cow!” she recalled saying. “How’d that get here?”
The Utah Department of National Resources says it appears the boulder had been lodged behind a clump of oaks. After the oaks had been consumed by the fire, the rock was freed to roll down the hill.
The DNR estimates the boulder reached a speed of around 50 mph on its way down the hill and as it rolled between two houses and landed on the Knowlden’s porch.
The boulder’s place on the Knowlden’s property is not permanent. The Forest Service will move the massive boulder by use of a crane on Wednesday.
The 267 acre Round Peak Fire is currently 5% contained and the Forestry Service will be on hand with a crane to move the boulder sometimes today.
Crews out assessing the damage from a giant bolder that tumbled down the mountain during the #RoundPeakfire. One #usfs member tells us he was 100 yards from it as he watched it fly down at 50mph before stopping at a residents front porch. @KSL5TV #ksltv pic.twitter.com/823sqw0VHq
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaNews) July 17, 2019
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Hill Air Force Base’s Air and Space show bringing STEM to kids
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case