Search continues for two men missing from boat near Strawberry Reservoir
STRAWBERRY RESERVOIR, Utah — The search for two men resumes on Friday after a boat was discovered Thursday afternoon, motor still running just off the shore near Strawberry Reservoir.
According to the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office, the two are brothers, ages 70 and 61, believed to have been aboard the boat before it was spotted back onshore by another boater along the shoreline near MP 51 of Hwy 40.
The two missing boaters are familiar with the area, according to family members, who are actively assisting crews in the search. Sheriff Jared Rigby says they are working with family members, who are worried, but hopeful as a second day of searching for the two continues.
“We spoke a lot about hope. Their hope is they have the best outcome possible. They’re worried, they’re praying and supporting each other, hoping for the best outcome,” according to Sheriff Rigby.
Deputies say the call came in about 2:30 p.m. Thursday from a passerby who noticed the boat’s motor still running, with no one on board. Wasatch Search and Rescue was called and began a search for an owner. A short time later, it was announced that two brothers, one from Salem, the other from Pleasant Grove were being sought. Names of the two were not immediately released.
The sheriff says crews on the water planned to continue the search overnight, with other teams set to re-join at 6 a.m. Friday morning. Deputies say they are unsure if the two men were wearing life preservers.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing