Woman fatally shot in West Valley City; Suspect in custody
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (AP) — Police say a suspect is in custody in connection with a shooting in West Valley City that left one woman dead and a teenage boy injured.
West Valley Police say 38-year-old Jayson Rue Chase has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of murder, aggravated assault, felony discharge of a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.
It was unclear Sunday if Chase has a lawyer yet.
Police say it appears the victims were in a car with Chase when shots were fired.
A 15-year-old boy suffered a gunshot wound to a shoulder and 34-year-old woman was dead in the car’s back seat with an apparent gunshot wound to the head.
The names of the dead woman and the wounded teen haven’t been released.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- ‘Goblin mode’ chosen as Oxford word of the year for 2022
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- How much will it take to save the Great Salt Lake?
- Checking in on the status of full-day kindergarten in Utah
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Defense bill likely to include end to military Covid vaccine mandate, source says