Minor injuries, major structure damage in Layton apartment fire
LAYTON — A fire at a Layton apartment building injured five people after sparking this afternoon.
The fire torched the roof of the apartment building. Officers rushed in to evacuate people living there. Seven of them are being treated for smoke inhalation.
3 alarm fire at Layton Meadows apts in building 586, involving 24 units. 5 minor civilian injuries and 7 Layton PD officers treated for smoke inhalation from evacuating residents. All doing well. Red Cross assisting displaced residents. Crews still involved in fire operations.
— Layton City (@LaytonPIO) July 22, 2019
The fire sparked around 3 this afternoon at the Layton Meadows Apartments. These are north of Layton Hills Mall. The Layton Fire Department moved to put out flames engulfing the complex.
“Rapid fire spread, we did call immediately for a second-alarm, and now have the equivalent of a third alarm fire,” said Layton Fire Chief Kevin Ward. “A lot of it is due to the excessive heat.”
Two residents went to the hospital, three others treated and released at the apartment. The seven officers are being treated as a precaution.
— Utah/Nevada Red Cross (@RedCrossUtahNV) July 22, 2019
Red Cross is assisting with immediate needs related to the fire.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished