Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man will serve up to life in prison after being convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend as he fired more than a dozen rounds into a bedroom window.
The Deseret News reports that police say 47-year-old Gino James Cecala had targeted 25-year-old Paige Espinoza’s current boyfriend when he fired blindly through the window in Magna two years ago.
Espinoza’s mother Kim Wood says her 9-year-old grandson cries every day for his mother as he struggles to make sense of her death.
Cecala said during a Thursday sentencing hearing that he felt a painful sense of loss for her family and son.
Third District Judge James Blanch, though, said it was unclear whether Cecala is fully taking responsibility as he handed down the sentence.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Victim in Box Elder County worksite accident is identified
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Biden calls abortion ruling ‘a sad day’ for country
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake