Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man will serve up to life in prison after being convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend as he fired more than a dozen rounds into a bedroom window.
The Deseret News reports that police say 47-year-old Gino James Cecala had targeted 25-year-old Paige Espinoza’s current boyfriend when he fired blindly through the window in Magna two years ago.
Espinoza’s mother Kim Wood says her 9-year-old grandson cries every day for his mother as he struggles to make sense of her death.
Cecala said during a Thursday sentencing hearing that he felt a painful sense of loss for her family and son.
Third District Judge James Blanch, though, said it was unclear whether Cecala is fully taking responsibility as he handed down the sentence.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Senate race between Lee and McMullin is tight as election day gets closer