Utah officials: Administration rejecting Medicaid proposal
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Officials say Utah’s planned request for more federal funding for expanding its Medicaid program is being rejected by President Donald Trump administration.
A statement released Saturday by Gov. Gary R. Herbert and top legislative leaders said the White House told Utah officials late Friday that the waiver request awaiting formal submission wouldn’t be approved.
The statement said expressed disappointment but says the move doesn’t change the state’s April 1 expansion of Medicaid coverage to additional low-income residents but instead would have asked the federal government to cover a larger share of the costs.
Utah lawmakers earlier this year voters scaled back the Medicaid expansion approved by voters in November.
Lawmakers angered advocates by reducing how many people would be covered. Lawmakers also added spending caps and work requirements.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City