SALT LAKE CITY – Officers say they’re hitting some roadblocks as they try to find whoever shot and killed a woman in a busy part of town Thursday night.
Investigators say 33-year-old Alicia Baxter was shot near the area of North Temple and 800 West. They say there are plenty of restaurants and normally a lot of people nearby at that time of day.
However, Detective Greg Wilking says, “We haven’t had a lot of cooperation out of individuals that were on scene.”
Officers say only one shot was fired, but it hit Baxter in the head. She was rushed to the hospital where she died. She has a criminal history and multiple arrests, but all of them happened within just this year.
“We’ve had some dealings with her but we haven’t had a lengthy history with her,” Wilking says.
Currently, there is a lot of confusion about who may have been there and who saw it. Some investigators believe there could be witnesses who might not completely understand what happened.
“People on scene heard a gunshot and then found her down but called for fire and didn’t really look at it as a police issue,” Wilking says.
Investigators don’t know the motive for the shooting, but, Wilking says it appears to be a case of street justice.
“Whether it had to do with drugs or money, there’s probably a pretty good bet on that, or some sort of altercation for another reason,” he says.
- Smith's limiting number of customers in store, closing early Easter Sunday (pageviews: 11015)
- Catch this week's supermoon, biggest and brightest of year (pageviews: 4236)
- Dr. Anthony Fauci impressed with Utah response to COVID-19, state to train more in contact tracing (pageviews: 4013)
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County (pageviews: 3385)
- Five additional coronavirus deaths reported in Utah (pageviews: 2066)
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend (pageviews: 1595)
- Antibody testing one step closer to tackling COVID-19 in Utah (pageviews: 1375)
- Salt Lake County Mayor considers extending stay home order to Memorial Day or longer (pageviews: 1069)