BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — One person is dead and five others are in critical condition following a crash in Big Cottonwood Canyon. A portion of the canyon road closed on Saturday morning, official say.
Unified Police detective Ken Mallory says the crash happened when a passenger car hit a parked truck.
The passenger, carrying four people, pulled into a parking area near the Butler Fork Trailhead at 9300 E at about 3 a.m. The car hit the rear of pickup truck where two were sleeping in the truck bed.
One person in the truck died.
The passenger car drove off the lot, down an embankment, and rolled.
The crash caused critical injuries to the others in the vehicles. The injured persons were transported to hospitals, Mallory says.
Police have not yet publicly identified any of of the persons involved.
Police say there are no signs that the driver of the passenger was impaired.
Authorities closed the mouth of the canyon for a time. The police reopened the road up to mile marker 10.
A half-mile of the road remains closed while officers continue the investigation.
- Zombie raccoons in Provo? A warning from Provo PD... (pageviews: 20563)
- Friday: School delays and closures (pageviews: 14286)
- Long-time Jazz Bear speaks out for first time since firing (pageviews: 9400)
- 76,000 Utahns need gold star on driver's license (pageviews: 4255)
- Listen (pageviews: 3800)
- Snowmobile accident claims life of former Wasatch County rescuer (pageviews: 1871)
- Win $500 in Gas 3X a Day! (pageviews: 1481)
- Thousands of Gold Star IDs returned to DPS. Is yours one of them? (pageviews: 1355)
- Painted owl angers Utah wildlife officials (pageviews: 885)