New Disney park attractions will have Mary Poppins, Wakanda
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Mary Poppins. Wakanda. Rapunzel. They’re a hodge-podge of beloved characters and settings, but how do they belong together? Answer: they’re coming to Disney parks or cruise ships within the next few years.
Disney Parks chairman Bob Chapek revealed the new plans at the company’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, California.
Mary Poppins on Cherry Tree Lane
The first Mary Poppins attraction at a Disney park will be at Epcot. The addition is part of the transformation of the Florida park. Appropriately, the Cherry Tree Lane neighborhood will be housed in the United Kingdom pavilion in World Showcase.
Other changes are afoot in Epcot’s World Showcase, too. The area around a lagoon that shows off pavilions from almost a dozen nations.
Changes keep coming
Next year, the French pavilion is adding a new attraction based on the animated film “Ratatouille.” It will also include a new French restaurant. Also, the French pavilion will host a sing-along with songs from the film, “Beauty and the Beast” starting next January.
Both the Canada and China pavilions are getting new movies showcasing their countries, and Disney officials said a new nighttime extravaganza will offer various interpretations of classic Disney songs from people all over the world.
In other parts of Epcot, a “Guardians of the Galaxy” ride is planned. And the space theme will continue with a new restaurant at the Mission: Space pavilion.
Don’t forget Avengers!
Elsewhere in Disney’s “park-dom,” ”Avenger Campus” areas are planned for Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Paris, based on “The Avengers” movie franchise. Both campuses will have Spider-Man attractions. The California park will have an Avengers Headquarters which will become the entrance to a ride that features the Avengers on a mission in Wakanda, the fictional land from the film “Black Panther.”
More cruise ships
Disney is bringing online three new cruise ships, including Disney Wish, upon which the image of Rapunzel will grace the stern when it starts sailing in 2021.
Disney also is building a “Zootopia”-themed land at Shanghai Disney Resort.
Details on the new attractions were made just days before the new “Star Wars” land opens at Walt Disney World on Thursday. An identical land opened at Disneyland in California at the start of the summer.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you