Fire forces evacuation of Layton homes
LAYTON, Utah — A fast-moving fire, visible from many areas in Davis County, spread across the hillside east of Layton late Monday night, forcing the evacuation of 125 homes. Layton City Fire says that, as of now, there is no immediate threat to those homes but they are concerned about a possible shift in the winds.
The fire started late Monday night in an area known as the Fernwood Recreation Area. It was reported at about 80 acres in size. Numerous crews responded and fire officials say many are on hand working to protect any structures.
The area evacuated includes all areas east of Valley View Drive, between 1750 N. and Fernwood Drive and all areas east of Fernwood Drive and 3300 East.
Those who have been evacuated can shelter at the Mountain View Baptist Church, 2585 E. Highway 193. The Red Cross reported early Tuesday morning that the other church building on Cherry Lane had been closed.
Davis Co. Animal Control will remain posted at the meetinghouse for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 2680 E. Cherry Lane to help with evacuated animals. Officials say they are there to help assist with large animals but that if you need help with animals of any size to contact the Davis County Sheriffs Office at 801-451-4150.
People needing that kind of help are asked to call the dispatch center at (801) 451-415o.
Layton City Fire has been sending out updated information via Twitter through the night. Fire officials emphasized that there was no known structure damage and that the evacuations are merely precautionary.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism