Utahns weigh-in on gun policy
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The ongoing conversation surrounding gun control policy has seemingly split politicians in Washington. And a recent Utah Policy Analytics poll shows it’s proving to be a divisive issue in Utah as well.
Overall, Utah tends to lean conservative and the numbers reflect that.
Of those surveyed, 42-percent said they trusted Republicans in Congress to handle gun policy, compared to only 36-percent better trusting Democrats and 22-percent being unsure or having no opinion.
When polling men only the divide increases, with 47-percent trusting Republicans versus only a third of men choosing Democrats. Those who reported they remain unsure as to who to trust totaled 20-percent.
A big change in the numbers occurs when considering only female input.
In that scenario, 40-percent of women reported trusting Democrats in Congress more. Only 36-percent better trust Republicans and 24-percent remain unsure.
The issue of guns in America has become a highly partisan one, and often an individual’s overall political beliefs will mirror their stance on gun control.
For example, 90-percent of those polled identifying as “strong” liberals trusted Democrats more on gun control, while only 1-percent better trusted Republicans and 9-percent were unsure.
That trend is almost identical on the other side of the aisle, as 91-percent of “strong” conservatives reported they trust Republicans more on the issue, versus only 1-percent better trusting Democrats and 9-percent remaining unsure.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Rep. Stewart: Lessons to be learned from Chinese spy balloon
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Biden to test run reelection message in address to divided Congress
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- DWR implements emergency state-wide restrictions on shed antler hunting
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon