Fugitives who escaped in Utah captured in Arizona
NAVAJO COUNTY, Arizona — The two fugitives wanted that escaped authorities in Utah have been captured in Arizona
56-year-old Blane Barksdale and 59-year-old Susan Barksdale escaped custody near the Arizona Utah state line on Aug. 26th and were able to avoid capture until yesterday.
The couple was in US Marshall custody and being extradited across the country from New York to face charges in the murder of 72-year-old Frank Bligh. Tucson Police said that Bligh’s home caught fire and then exploded in April. His car was found abandoned the next day.
David Gonzales, the U.S. Marshal for Arizona, said that that the couple was able to escape custody after Susan Barksdale faked a medical emergency. When the transport van pulled over they overpowered the two guards that were transporting them and drove the van into Arizona.
It was there that Gonzales said that they were able to obtain a red GMC pickup truck.
The Navajo County Sheriff’s Office reported late Wednesday night that the Barksdale’s were located and taken into custody without incident.
Today’s Top Stories
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- DPS offers apology to family of rape victim from more than 50 years ago
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023
- Driving Utah’s most dangerous roads: What you need to know
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Democratic Sen. Warnock wins Georgia runoff against Walker
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Salt Lake Express announces new route to Reno, Nevada