Utah man accused of raping girl he met through “number neighbor challenge”
GUNNISON, Utah — Police say a Utah man raped a girl he met during an Internet challenge.
It was the “number neighbor challenge,” where you text the cell phone number that’s a number up or down from yours.
Police in Gunnison, in Sanpete County, say 19-year-old Isaac Alonso sent a text to the father of the victim, who was his number neighbor. The man asked his 16-year-old daughter what the challenge was all about. She started texting back to Alonso and found out they had friends in common.
Charging documents say Alonso invited her to go to a convenience store to grab a drink and talk. But instead, he drove her to the hills east of Ephraim and raped her.
Charging documents say the father confronted Alonso on the phone, who then responded that he couldn’t go back to jail and tried to tell the girl to say it was consensual.
He’s now scheduled to be in court for this case on October 2nd.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man