SALT LAKE CITY — The Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Guatemala City, Guatemala, will close in Janary of 2020. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the decision today.
In a statement, Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said the decision to close the Guatemala MTC is part of a long process the Church has undertaken to determine the best use of its worldwide resources.
“Specifically, this move will allow for the better use of the Mexico MTC,” the statement reads, “which is well-equipped to accommodate large groups of missionaries being trained in the Spanish language.”
According to the Deseret News, missionaries trained at the Guatemala MTC go on to serve missions in Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, or Panama. It was established on July 1, 1986.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Celebrities rally to send Quaden Bayles to Disneyland after bullying video goes viral (pageviews: 2162)
- Gym trainer arrested for recording females in changing room (pageviews: 2153)
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale... described as what? (pageviews: 1519)
- Mom of 2 missing Idaho children arrested in Hawaii (pageviews: 1300)
- Police: Body found in pipe near Target in Salt Lake (pageviews: 1270)
- BYU, other church universities update student honor code (pageviews: 748)
- Bloomberg to Utah: President Trump won last night's Democratic debate (pageviews: 693)