University of Utah seeks dismissal of $56M lawsuit over the death of Lauren McCluskey
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The University of Utah has asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the parents of a slain student.
The family of Lauren McCluskey filed the $56 million suit against the university in June, saying the school hasn’t taken responsibility for the death of their daughter last October at the hands of her ex-boyfriend.
The complaint also names as defendants the then-chief of the university’s police department and others.
Lawyers for the university argue that McClusky’s family doesn’t have grounds to sue the school.
The motion to dismiss argues the school does not have substantial control over a person who isn’t affiliated with the university.
The Deseret News reports that an independent review panel has concluded that it was impossible to say whether McCluskey’s death could have been prevented.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- CEO and President of Intermountain Healthcare announces resignation
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- Police arrest suspect in West Valley hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy
- Alpine School District restricts 52 library books
- Some Utah areas see slight drop in drought levels
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- Authorities identify suspect who attacked author Salman Rushdie at western New York event