Expect new legislation aimed at vaping
SALT LAKE CITY — Legislation is underway on the state and national level to try to crack down on vaping.
Lawmakers expect at least 3 new bills coming next session in Utah, focusing on enforcement, education and regulation of e-cigarettes.
“To clarify that all vaping and nicotine dispensing devices products are illegal for minors. Because there’s so much unknown, and as people don’t know and aren’t educated, they don’t really see the harms of this,” said Rhett Larsen, School and Student Safety Specialist at the Utah State Board of Education.
Options include an 87 percent tax, banning flavors, and consistent penalties for underage users.
“Another part of the enforcement piece is a resolution to encourage the local health departments to cap the number of vape shops in any area,” said Larsen. “It’s also to address the problems of vape shops soliciting and selling to minors, which really is a problem.”
Tuesday in Washington DC, the House oversight and investigations subcommittee will hold a hearing regarding e-cigarettes. This hearing will examine the outbreak of lung illness associated with the use of e-cigarette products.
Leaders from the CDC and FDA, as well as state health officials, have been invited to testify.
The CDC has identified over 300 cases of lung illness nationwide associated with e-cigarette use.
On Monday the Utah Health Department announced they were investigating 47 cases of lung disease associated with vaping. That’s five more in a week. Another 22 potential cases are being investigated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Chinese President Xi Jinping tells troops to focus on ‘preparing for war’
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Layton man taken into custody for allegedly recording women in restroom
- SLC International Airport to add another international nonstop flight
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success