National Voter Registration Day is today: what you need to know
SALT LAKE CITY — Election Day might be more than a month away but today is National Voter Registration Day, the day to learn how to register or update your registration.
National Voter Registration Day takes place on the fourth Tuesday of September, every year. It is designed to ensure that everyone who wants to vote, has the chance to vote. According to the the National Voter Registration Day website, millions of Americans do not vote. The reasons include that they miss the registration deadline, they don’t update their registration, or they just aren’t sure how to register.
On National Voter Registration Day each year, up to 10,000 local volunteers throughout the country raise awareness for voter registration in their communities. Last year more than 800,000 voters used National Voter Registration Day to register people to vote across all 50 states.
Register to Vote in Utah
To register online, you have to have a current Utah Driver’s License or ID. You can update your address on your license before registering to vote by going to the Driver’s License Division. If you register online, you have to submit your registration at least 7 days before the election.
You can also register to vote by mail, using a mail-in voter registration form. If you register using the mail-in form, you have to mail your completed registration form at least 30 days before the election to be eligible to vote.
Another option is to register in person at the Salt Lake County Election Division, at 2001 South State Street, in Salt Lake City. Or you can go to an early voting location Or Election Day Vote Center and vote on the same day.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Student loan forgiveness resolution on hold until 2023
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- DPS offers apology to family of rape victim from more than 50 years ago
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Driving Utah’s most dangerous roads: What you need to know
- Democratic Sen. Warnock wins Georgia runoff against Walker
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]