SWAT standoff ends peacefully after police say man assaulted child and shot at neigbor
MILLCREEK, Utah — Police say they have a man is in custody after a standoff in Millcreek where they say he assaulted a child and fired several rounds at a neighbor.
Detective Kevin Mallory with Unified Police said they received a call shortly after 3 pm in the Doreen Street area in Millcreek that a man had “confronted some juveniles that were riding their bikes in the area, and during that confrontation between the juveniles and the adult male, an assault occurred on one of the children.”
Mallory said that after that confrontation and assault one of the parents of the children involved came outside to intervene when the first man pulled out a handgun and fired several shots at the parent before barricading himself inside his home.
A SWAT team was called in to negotiate with the man and after several hours the SWAT team was able to arrest the man without incident.
“We had a lot of good help on our neighbors here, who were able to give us some good information,” Mallory said.
The man’s name has not been released at the time of writing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people are in critical condition following two-vehicle car crash
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Expert gives tips on conquering your downward social-media scroll
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary