Cold and snow settling in across Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Tuesday’s forecast is colder and snowier than normal. KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman says to expect snow on and off all day.
How much snow are we talkin’ here? Here you go… pic.twitter.com/wPs3T6a8ED
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) October 29, 2019
Early Tuesday morning the storm was moving south and sticking. In some places the roads are wet, but the bridges and overpasses are also turning snowy and slushy. There was ice on I-84 overnight.
[5:30 AM] Snow continues to fill in across northern Utah this morning. Not much change overnight to the forecast snow totals. Still expecting the period of heaviest snowfall starting now through about midday, then tapering off this afternoon and evening. #utwx #wywx pic.twitter.com/GdSKj9Y8jg
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) October 29, 2019
The storm also came with warnings to prepare ahead of time for winter driving.
Law enforcement reminds drivers to check their tires, increase their following distance and slow down.
Take a little extra time to get to where you’re going!
8 common reasons accidents happen in the snow:
1- Driving too fast for the conditions
2- Failing to clear all of your windows
3- Failure to allow more time
4- Following too closely
5- Stopping in a lane of travel
— Provo Police (@ProvoPolice) October 28, 2019
Weyman explains where the cold air is coming from.
“It is coming in from due north in the inland areas of Canada and it has been sweeping through,” he says. “Yesterday it kind of worked its way through upper Idaho and Montana.”
The average high for this time of year is 59. But Tuesday was not expected to warm above 33 degrees. The day was forecast to get gradually colder, into the 20s.
Today’s Top Stories
- False alarm of reported shots fired near Granger Elementary
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- Iran wants US out of World Cup after change made to Iranian flag
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray
- SB I-15 lanes in Washington Co. reopen after closure
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success