Romney’s 3 TD passes lead BYU to 31-24 win over Liberty
PROVO, Utah (AP) — Baylor Romney completed 23 of 33 passes for 262 yards and three touchdowns and BYU beat Liberty 31-24 on Saturday night.
Micah Simon had seven receptions for 91 yards and a score and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Matt Bushman and Sione Finau had 10 carries for 69 yards for BYU.
On the first possession of the game, Liberty (6-4) used a 10-play, 75-yard drive capped by Stephen Calvert’s 19-yard touchdown pass to Zac Foutz to take a 7-0 lead but the Cougars (5-4) scored the next 17 points, and 24 of the next 27, to take the lead for good.
Romney’s 2-yard TD pass to Simon tied it midway through the first quarter, Jake Oldroyd kicked a 24-yard field goal early in the second and Bushman’s touchdown made it 17-7 at halftime.
Romney threw touchdown passes of 41 yards to Aleva Hifo and 17 yards to Moroni Laulu-Pututau in the second half.
Calvert completed 27 of 45 for 303 yards and three touchdowns and Antonio Gandy-Golden had 10 receptions for 162 yards and a score for the Flames.
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Utah’s Coordinated Action Plan for Water released this week
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints