Huntsman’s announcement not deterring other possible gubernatorial candidates
SALT LAKE CITY – The list of high profile names entering Utah’s governor’s race may continue to get bigger, even after former governor Jon Huntsman throws his name into the mix. Some well-known politicians say Huntsman’s announcement that he’s seeking office, again, isn’t preventing them from looking into running, also.
For a lot of political analysts, it was no big surprise that Huntsman decided to make another run for the state’s top job. Former House Speaker Greg Hughes had been looking into raising enough money and establishing a campaign strategy for a while, and now that Huntsman has made it official, Hughes says his plans haven’t changed
Hughes says, “A guy like me, I’ve got to prepare for that. Today’s announcement does not change my course at all.”
He says the growing list of high profile names shows how deep the talent pool in Utah is.
Hughes hasn’t made any estimates on when he’ll make an official decision. However, First District Representative Rob Bishop, who is also considering running for governor, has an idea of when he’ll making an announcement.
“I will announce and I will begin what I’m going to do in the beginning of January. That’s plenty of time to start campaigning,” Bishop says.
The congressman says he also planned for Huntsman to jump into the race.
“Every time someone enters the race, that comes into my equation of whether I will go through with it, or not,” he says.
Officials with the Hinckley Institute of Politics say former Utah Republican Party Chair Thomas Wright and former Governor’s Office of Economic Development Executive Director Spencer Eccles are in the process of making a decision on running for governor. Institute Director Jason Perry estimates each candidate could spend between $3 million and $4 million, and most of that would go toward the primary.
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- U of U community reacts to discovery of hidden cameras in campus bathrooms
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat