No vote on Utah tax reform amid more questions, complaints
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A legislative task force in Utah has postponed a vote on state tax reforms that could increase tax cuts from the currently proposed $80 million to as much as $124 million, members said.
Tax Restructuring and Equalization Task Force members debated Monday a series of changes to the draft legislation to continue lowering income taxes while increasing sales and other taxes, members said.
About 30% of taxpayers would see an increase under the proposal, said Republican Sen. Lyle Hillyard, the task force’s Senate co-chairman.
“It just seems to me that we haven’t dug into the details of what’s being proposed,” nonvoting member Keith Prescott said.
“We haven’t done any analysis. I think Utah deserves better than this.”
Legislature leaders warned earlier this year that slow sales tax growth was creating an imbalance in the state budget compared to the income tax, officials said.
“We don’t have a revenue problem. We have an allocation problem,” said Brett Hastings of Utah Legislative Watch.
Lawmakers originally looked at broadening the sales tax to include service-based businesses coupled with income and sales tax cuts, officials said.
The tax reform effort has shifted away from services and has since proposed increasing the sales tax on food and gasoline sales, while creating new earned-income and grocery tax credits, members said.
“The idea of cutting taxes by raising taxes does not make sense,” said George Chapman, a Salt Lake City advocate.
Another committee hearing was scheduled for Dec. 9, officials said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success