I-15 reopened in both directions after tanker rollover in Lehi
LEHI, Utah — Both directions of I-15 are moving again near 1800 N. in Lehi, more than nine hours after a tanker rollover spilled butane and forced evacuations and hazmat response.
The accident happened on Saturday morning around 10:30 a.m. Lehi city officials said crews evacuated a quarter-mile radius around the crash, which affected one apartment building but no other structures. They directed residents who needed a place to go to a church building near 700 W. 2600 N. By 8 p.m., city officials allowed those residents to return home.
Utah Department of Transportation cameras showed the semi on its side in the construction zone for the I-15 Tech Corridor project.
According to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Brady Zaugg, the truck that rolled had two tankers, one of which started leaking butane. Crews offloaded the leaking tanker’s remaining butane to another truck before reopening the freeway. The agency did not offer any information about possible injuries.
If you are attempting to get to the Salt Lake area from southern Utah County or further south, divert through Heber via the 189 or through Tooele via SR-73. This will allow you to avoid the road closure due to the hazmat rollover at 282 NB I-15.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) November 30, 2019
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) December 1, 2019
Northbound drivers were forced to exit I-15 at Lehi Main Street. Southbound drivers were detoured at SR-92, Timpanogos Highway. So far, there is no word what caused the rollover.
Traffic is at a standstill here at point of the mountain. Been in this traffic for 50 minutes now. All I-15 southbound traffic is exiting at Timpanogos Highway. #BYU @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/Xy0bAC1msG
— Mitch Harper (@Mitch_Harper) November 30, 2019
Complicating the situation, BYU played a home basketball game on Saturday afternoon. Just before tip-off, drivers headed to the game reported backups that stretched more than an hour getting into Utah County.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour