A man spent 9 hours riding 80 miles on his bike to make a giant reindeer
It’s that time of year when Christmas decorations from nativities to Santa and his reindeer are up everywhere. Trees have been trimmed, lights hung, and snowmen built. One cyclist in London, though, took his holiday decorations to another level.
Anthony Hoyte is an artist who uses the whole city as his canvas; he uses the GPS data from his bicycle to make art on the streets.
“I’m pretty happy with it,” the 51-year-old Englishman told Insider. “You plan them all out but until you get back and upload it, you’re not quite sure whether it’s going to work or not.”
It’s that time of the year again when I cycle round congested streets in the rain looking for some festive cheer!: https://t.co/4u80fR8eNt@Strava @cyclingweekly #stravaart #stravart #gpsdoodle #gpsart #cycling #Christmas #reindeer #Rudolph pic.twitter.com/Nzm3Rch9nJ
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 9, 2019
This year is his third Christmas “installation.” He rode for nine hours and covered 79 miles in and around London to create a massive reindeer.
He told Insider that this was probably his limit for how far he’s going to go, especially while riding his bike through the more populated areas of the city.
“I live in the countryside and it’s very different to coming into London,” he said. “Particularly around Neasden and Wembley, it’s not the most pleasant cycling.”
Some of the other miles long artwork came in the form of a 41-mile Santa in Birmingham and an 88-mile snowman in London.
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 10, 2018
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 18, 2017
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- North Korea fires ballistic missile into waters off east coast of Korean peninsula
- Time Out on the Field