A man spent 9 hours riding 80 miles on his bike to make a giant reindeer
It’s that time of year when Christmas decorations from nativities to Santa and his reindeer are up everywhere. Trees have been trimmed, lights hung, and snowmen built. One cyclist in London, though, took his holiday decorations to another level.
Anthony Hoyte is an artist who uses the whole city as his canvas; he uses the GPS data from his bicycle to make art on the streets.
“I’m pretty happy with it,” the 51-year-old Englishman told Insider. “You plan them all out but until you get back and upload it, you’re not quite sure whether it’s going to work or not.”
It’s that time of the year again when I cycle round congested streets in the rain looking for some festive cheer!: https://t.co/4u80fR8eNt@Strava @cyclingweekly #stravaart #stravart #gpsdoodle #gpsart #cycling #Christmas #reindeer #Rudolph pic.twitter.com/Nzm3Rch9nJ
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 9, 2019
This year is his third Christmas “installation.” He rode for nine hours and covered 79 miles in and around London to create a massive reindeer.
He told Insider that this was probably his limit for how far he’s going to go, especially while riding his bike through the more populated areas of the city.
“I live in the countryside and it’s very different to coming into London,” he said. “Particularly around Neasden and Wembley, it’s not the most pleasant cycling.”
Some of the other miles long artwork came in the form of a 41-mile Santa in Birmingham and an 88-mile snowman in London.
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 10, 2018
— Anthony Hoyte (@anthoyte) December 18, 2017
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered